The East Anglian Waterways Association
Promoting access to the navigations of East Anglia for all
|Home||About Us||Latest News||East Anglian Waterways||The Easterling||Join Us||Directors||NW & Dilham||Work Party||Links||Forum|
E-mail: alan-faulkner at lineone.net
to read a back number of "The Easterling" from our archive ?
Issues right back to 2007 are just a CLICK away
NEWS OF THE EAWA 2014 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The formal business of the Association's 44th Annual General Meeting will take place on Sunday 18th May 2014 starting at 2.30pm in St Mary's Church Hall in March Cambridgeshire.
As usual we will take this opportunity to also enjoy a more informal get-together, with a visit to an important Middle Level boating operation and an invitation to lunch at the Church Hall.
Prior to the meeting members will have the opportunity to take part in a visit to Fox’s Marina for a conducted tour by our long standing member Mrs Paula Syred, one of the directors of this leading Fenlands boat hiring concern. To take advantage of this members will need to assemble no later than 11am at St. Mary’s Church Hall where there is adequate parking and from where transport will be provided to the marina.
business was founded by
Charlie Fox in 1959. Having
trained as a
boat builder at Appleyard & Lincoln’s yard at Ely he began by
small rowing boats and canoes before moving on to his first narrow boat
early 1970s. The
hiring out of narrow
boats began in 1976 but stopped after a few years due to the economic
situation. It was
re-started by his
daughter Paula in 1986 and currently hires out a series of narrow boat
cruisers all of which bear a version of the Fox name such as “Silver Fox”, “Urban
Fox” and “Fox Tail”.
business moved to its present
location in 1980 since when the marina has been extended several times
now accommodate over 200 boats. Charlie
Fox was involved in the Association’s Project Hereward campaign in the
1990s when he created the winding hole above Whittlesey Lock for us,
the marina visit members are
invited to partake of lunch at the Church Hall where there will be a
choice of the
main course being either roast pork with apple sauce or chicken breast
sauce, both accompanied by roast and creamed potatoes and a selection
will be followed by a
sweet of either cheesecake or fresh fruit salad with cream, and the
end up with a cheese board and coffee all at a cost of £10.
wishing to attend the
marina visit and the luncheon will need to book in through our
Sexton, with their menu choices and with payment
(£10 per person)
before the end of April.
space reasons the luncheon
offer is limited to twenty people and will be allocated on a first
come, first served
dietary requirements can
be catered for, but please notify them to Roger.
For late comers there are other food outlets
nearby and in the centre of March.
as before it would be helpful
if those just wishing to attend the Annual General Meeting could advise
Chairman as soon as possible.
Cheques for the cost of lunch should be made payable to the East Anglian Waterways Association but will not be presented for payment until early in May.
EAWA HONOURS RETIRING WEB-MASTER
Association’s Web Site was
set up several years ago on the initiative of our member Peter Bendall
only did he put much of the material together he also generously
setting up costs and the annual fee. Peter lives out in
NORTH WALSHAM & DILHAM CANAL
At its meeting on 10 October EAWA’s Council agreed that the organisation of the voluntary working parties on the canal would now be taken over by the North Walsham & Dilham Canal Trust. This transfer was facilitated by the Trust now having suitable insurance cover arrangements via the Inland Waterways Association. EAWA’s own cover with the IWA has now been lapsed; instead Council has agreed to continue to support the Trust by assuming responsibility to pay the annual insurance premium – for 2014 this amounts to £371.
........ Much more in 'The Easterling' or on our NWDCT web page.
HERE AND THERE
WITHAM CONNECTIONS: David Tomlinson’s trip up Timberland Delph off the river Witham has prompted interest in the other drainage channels in the area. There are a series of channels south-west of the main river including Branston Delph (OS 710090 - 1.95 miles long, straight); Nocton Delph (O/S 125655, 2.9 miles long, straight); Metheringham Delph (O/S 156652 – 3.45 miles, straight); Timberland Delph (O/S 179610 – 3.25 miles, straight); Billinghay Skirth (O/S 915566 – 2.75 miles to Billinghay); Kyme Eau (O/S 210540 – River Slea, 12.5 miles to Sleaford);South Forty Foot Drain (O/S 327428 – 20.9 miles almost to the River Glen)
RIVER SLEA: After the problems experienced last year the Slea Navigation Trust has launched an appeal for funds to help it carry out important dredging work to enable boats to reach the first lock. At its meeting on 10 October our Council has agreed to contribute £1,000 towards this appeal and these funds are available just as soon as the work goes ahead. The Environment Agency which should be doing this says it lacks the necessary funds but it will provide guidance into how the work is to be carried out. Meanwhile the Trust has been making enquiries with local farmers as some may have equipment that could be used towards carrying out the work.
was the scene at Wissington, a village on the
A.134 road halfway between
Ivan Cane, the Association’s
WORKING WITH NATURE:
Broads Authority’s innovative restoration of the reed bed at Salhouse
won international recognition as a pioneering way of re-using dredged
sediment. To mark
this, the authority
has been awarded the
Dredged sediment from the nearby River Bure was used to create 7,000 square metres of reed bed. Turfs were scraped from reed beds on the Bure Marshes National Nature Reserve at Woodbastwick and planted on the huge geotextile bags used in the restoration while the seed of common reed and reed mace was scattered by hand over the bare sediment. The aim was to restore the eroded reed bed as it was 60 years ago. Less than a year after the work began 30 plant species, several of them rare, are now colonising the restored reed bed.
|CANOE TRAILS: An Integrated Access
Strategy was adopted by the
Broads Authority in May 2013 and this identified the increasing demand
canoe access to the
TO THE OLD DAYS: In its issue of Saturday 7 September the
Eastern Daily Press published a series of pictures featuring local
waterways when they were used for commercial traffic. Several Thames
sailing barges were shown such as the Northdown at Surlingham in the
1960s and the Ethel Ada tied up on the Yare at Coldham Hall.
The steam tug Richard Lee Barber is pictured at Great Yarmouth in September 1965 as is the Genstram towing three empty barges at Coldham Hall in the winter of 1958. Copies are available via
Our member Dr Tom
Moore has done absolute wonders on the
PICTURE - Can you identify the location?
MYSTERY PICTURE - Can you identify the location?
This picture purports to depict a scene on the River Witham. It appears in a book called “Tractors at Work. A Pictorial Review. 1904–1994” by Stuart Gibbard and is credited to Stuart Green. A Fowler engine is shown surrounded by many of Fowler’s management on what appears to be a specially constructed barge. There have been suggestions that this might not be on the Witham at all, but could be on one of the waterways further north such as the Aire & Calder Navigation. At one time many parts of the Witham were virtually inaccessible by land and there would have been plenty of scope for equipment such as this to carry the engine around the navigation and off load it at suitable places using the folded back ramps at the back of the barge. We would be glad to receive any views or comments about the picture.
Much more in the February 2014 "Easterling"The current copy of the "Easterling" should be read in "Back Numbers," at the foot of the page:
A Guide to the River
The version here is reduced size to enable it to fit on
your printout paper!
|A Guide to the River Stour, For Canoes And Similar Small Craft|
Formed in April 1950, the Club now occupies its' fourth site, but only
the third with moorings! Originally having “premises” at Hillgrounds in
Kempston, the first mooring was at Batts Ford in 1953, transferring to
a site between Cardington and the Barns hotel in 1958.
In part because of being “land locked,” in those early
there were no cruisers, but rowing boats and the like and the type and
size of boat has changed over the years to the modern (and some not so
modern) cruisers we see now.
|Volume Eight, Number Seven - February 2007 (2.38 Mb)||Volume Eight, Number Eight - June 2007 (2.08 Mb)||A CD-rom of 20 years of Back
Numbers of 'The Easterling' from
1991 is available on request for a minimum donation of £5
|Volume Eight, Number Nine - October 2007 (1.66 Mb)||Volume Eight, Number Ten - February 2008 (1,87 Mb)|
|Volume Eight, Number Eleven - June 2008 (1.06 Mb)||Volume Eight, Number Twelve - October 2008 (3.43 Mb)|
|Volume Eight, Number Thirteen - February 2009 (1.76 Mb)||Volume Eight, Number Fourteen - June 2009|
|Volume Eight, Number Fifteen - October 2009 (1.76 Mb)||Volume Eight, Number Sixteen - February 2010 (1.76 Mb)|
|Volume Eight, Number Seventeen - June 2010 ( Mb)||Vol 8, 17 - Colour Supplement June 2010 Supplement 2010|
|Volume Eight, Number Eighteen - October 2010||Volume Eight, Number Nineteen - February 2011|
|Volume Eight, Number Twenty - June 2011||Volume Nine, Number One- October 2011|
|Volume Nine, Number Two - February 2012||Volume Nine, Number Three - June 2012|
|Volume Nine, Number Four - October 2012||Volume Nine, Number Five - February 2013|
|Volume Nine, Number Six - June 2013||Volume Nine, Number Seven - October 2013|
|Volume, Nine, Number Eight - February 2014||--||Contact the editor|
|The East Anglian Waterways Association is a believer in "Waterways for All" - promoting access to our navigations for the community - whether walkers, nature lovers, anglers, canoeists, boaters or gongoozlers. We work with and support many local societies, trusts and other user bodies in the area - Please visit our LINKS page for more information.|
|(C)2013 - East Anglian Waterways Association Limited - Reg. 895405 - Registered Charity No. 251382|